The Papal Visit Schedule of Events
As the moment of our Holy Father’s arrival draws near, I would like just briefly to share with you again the itinerary for this historic pastoral visit, which includes some new and exciting events. This time of grace offers a special opportunity for us to “Share the Joy, Walk with Francis,” with the Chief Shepherd of the Church Universal strengthening us in our faith as we invite our neighbors to accompany us on this journey.
The desire on the part of people to see Pope Francis during his time here has been overwhelming. For every seat or space that we have available at the various venues, we have had probably more than ten requests. As part of the effort to give as many people as possible an opportunity to encounter the Holy Father personally, plans were made so that people lining the streets can see him in the Popemobile.
If you are unable to see the Pope in person, please join us in spirit and visit our archdiocesan papal visit website, WalkWithFrancis.org, to watch live video of the proceedings.
Tuesday, September 22
- 4 p.m. – Pope Francis arrives with an official welcoming ceremony at Joint Base Andrews outside Washington, D.C.
Wednesday, September 23
- Sunrise Masses will be celebrated at various parishes in downtown Washington. Afterward, the faithful are invited to make a pilgrimage to the grounds of the Washington Monument alongside Constitution Avenue, where a large-screen Jumbotron will show the papal events throughout the day, together with special programming and commentary. Please visit here for more information.
- 9:15 a.m. – Pope Francis visits President Barack Obama at the White House, followed by the Holy Father traveling in the Popemobile to greet people gathered at the Mall area near the White House.
- 11:30 a.m. – Pope Francis meets with the Bishops of the United States for Mid-day Prayer at the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle.
- 4:15 p.m. – Pope Francis celebrates Holy Mass, with the Canonization of Junípero Serra, on the steps of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception next to the campus of The Catholic University of America. Preceding the liturgy, the Holy Father will pass through the assembled crowd in the Popemobile.
- 8 p.m. – As the Holy Father retires to the Apostolic Nunciature for the evening, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in cooperation with the archdiocese will host “A Concert to Celebrate Pope Francis.” This concert, which is free to the public, will feature the National Symphony Orchestra, mezzo-soprano Clémentine Margaine, jazz prodigy José André Montaño, and a host of others.
Thursday, September 24
- 9:20 a.m. – Pope Francis addresses a joint meeting of Congress at the U.S. Capitol, followed by the Holy Father greeting people assembled on the Capitol lawn.
- 11:15 a.m. – Pope Francis visits the historic Church of Saint Patrick and the nearby headquarters of Catholic Charities to meet and minister to some of our sisters and brothers in need.
- 4 p.m. – Our Holy Father departs for New York from Joint Base Andrews.
In gathering around the Successor of Peter and Vicar of Christ this week, we rejoice in the Good News of our Lord. Our prayer is that his time among us should be just the beginning of a spiritual renewal among us and our entire community as we strive to bring the light of Christ into the world in which we live.